The holiday season brings an increase in the number of residential package deliveries, along with the inevitable spike in package thefts. Mail and package deliveries invite crooks looking for a quick and easy target.
To reduce the risk of falling victim to package thieves, we offer the following suggestions to protect your holiday deliveries:
1. Use internet-enabled security cameras.
2. Give instructions to the package delivery service, such as where to leave your package, to leave the package with a trusted neighbor, or require a signature for delivery.
3. Pick up items a retailer’s walk-in store.
4. Have packages delivered to you at work or delivered to a friend or family member.
5. Sign up for delivery status alerts for your carrier.
6. Use the free “Informed Delivery” service offered by the U.S. Postal Service.
7. Purchases made on Amazon.com can be delivered to an Amazon Locker, which are located at various public locations throughout the area.
8. Consider installing a lock box on your property.
9. Be alert! Keep an eye out for suspicious persons in your neighborhood and report suspicious activity to the police immediately!
Follow these simple tips to reduce your chance of being victimized by holiday bandits.
Call the Irwindale Police Department at (626) 430-2244 to report suspicious activity or call 9-1-1 to report emergencies to our Communications Center.