- Building & Safety
Building & Safety
Filing Permit Applications & Submitting Plans during COVID-19
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions imposed by the County of Los Angeles and the Irwindale City Council, the City of Irwindale has implemented temporary precautionary changes to its operations. All permit applications and plan submittals can be done online by using the following link:
Questions regarding Building & Safety permit applications can be directed to Kyle Ingram at (626) 430-2205. To request a field inspection please call (626) 430-2254.
Payments for permit applications/plan submittals are being accepted by mail (checks) and in person (cash or checks). Please make checks payable to City of Irwindale, include the project address on the check, and a phone number. Checks can be mailed to: City of Irwindale, Attn: Building & Safety, 5050 N. Irwindale Ave., Irwindale, CA 91706.
This division is now responsible for the administration and enforcement of city, state, and federal building and safety codes. It provides standards to safeguard life, limb, health, property, and public welfare by regulating and controlling the construction, quality of materials, use, occupancy, location, and maintenance of all buildings within our jurisdiction. These responsibilities include:
- All new construction, additions, and remodeling
- Occupancy use
- Plan review of building plans for new buildings, additions, and remodeling
- Plan review of all major heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), electrical, plumbing, and structural systems
- Building inspections of framing, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems
- Building inspections for all life safety issues, including unsafe buildings and structures
- Issuance of building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical system permits
- Inspection of Capital Improvement Projects
- Inspection for new / renewal business licenses
- Respond to emergencies such as buildings damaged by fire, auto, or natural disasters
- Plan reviews and reports for County of Los Angeles Sanitation Department
- Reports for the County of Los Angeles Assessor's Department
- Review projects for Americans with Disabilities (ADA) compliance
- Review projects for T-24 (Energy) compliance
- Capital improvement project (CIP) management
- Assistance for applicants with plan check submittals
- Coordination of plan check routing with other departments and agencies
- Coordination of approvals for plan review with other departments and agencies
- Answering code and regulatory questions
- Processing and issuing building, electrical, mechanical, sewer, plumbing, fire sprinkler, and demolition permits
- Retrieval of file records for permits.
If you are considering hiring a contractor to remodel, repair, or upgrade your home, please access the resources available to help you select a contractor who is licensed and in good standing.